4/05/2023

Meet My Best Friend

 


Best Buddy with Best Buddy

My best friend is my CJ. He is 54 years old. His hair is sexy gray, his eyes are the color of truest blue, his smile lights up to his cheeks bones and he has a loyal heart full of pure adventure.  He’s been my best friend for the better part of 35 years. We’re so close we made 2 other humans, Caitlyn and Sadie.

CJ stands for Christopher John, but through the years he’s had many other nick names given to him. His friends called him Camel Jockey, his dad called him snake, girls at Olympus High school called him leopard poco’s, and I always called him a fag because he made me laugh so stupid silly! The list has grown through our married years - handsome man, cutest man, adventure man, magnificent man, math man, nerd, Ceej, Peej…and many more. Our grandkids call him Papa What, Crappa, Grandpa CJ and Best Buddy.

CJ was raised by a cabinet man, became a cabinet man and successfully runs a cabinet shop. His skill has been noted by so many contractors and home owners.  It is a craft, talent, that he has brilliantly honed. Other than the fabulous cabinets I’ve always had in my homes, he has made my most favorite pieces of furniture. I honestly believe he has the ability to craft and build anything he puts his mind to. It’s incredible. 

Best friend loves Breyers mint chocolate chip and/or rocky road ice cream. Don’t buy another brand, because he’ll be disappointed. He makes a wicked chocolate shake. He likes Mexican food and does NOT like Indian food and especially Indian restaurants…I think it’s because of the belly dances, not a comfy situation for him ;]

Best Buddy doesn’t give a rats ass if his clothes match or not. He’s become notorious for some of the outfits he’s put together for family parties, or his Sunday morning runs to Maverick…and even his pairing of tie pattern to shirt pattern at church. I don’t care, it’s part of what I love about him. He’s not out to impress a damn person.  His focus is always on challenging himself.  He rarely competes with another.

His hair. Sometimes he grows it out a bit. When it grows to a certain length he begins to twist his sideburns or mullet into small unicorn looking dreads and it drives me insane. Also something I love the most. He is awkwardly aware of his on coming baldness. He looks great, always handsome, although I don’t think he feels the same. He cuts his own hair, always has…except once and that time the hairdresser flirted with him and blew on his neck, slightly provocatively, and that was it. Never went into a salon again. (He is that handsome. Girls flirt with him in front of me and the girls quite often) The man gets better looking with age. Also something I think he’d deny. Speaking of his hair, he won “the hairiest” award his sophomore year at Alta high school. 

My best friend has completed 11 Ironman races. How many other triathlons has he run? I have no idea, lost count. He is an endurance kind of a person. He doesn’t do anything frivolously or half assed. All his adventures, projects and challenges are giant. He hunts sheep in the middle of nowhere Canada and has hunted in the middle of nowhere Greenland. He’s been hunting in Africa where a Cape buffalo hunted him right back. Yep, my best friend is the stuff of grand stories and mega movies. But he’s legit. The real deal.

Handsome Best Friend is so scary smart. He thinks with absolute logic and always in fractions and measurements.  I am a creative thinker, so having a math man around to set my visions spatially is a bonus for me.  I can draw a plan to ‘my’ perfection and he’ll always tell me it’s out of scale…haha, DUH! I know! ;D   I am forgetful and he reminds me, re-teaches me, and constantly gives me the grace I need to remember correctly…or at all!  His patience abounds. 

If CJ can be made to mush, it’s by his grandkids. He loves them. SO MUCH. I thought being a grandma would be the ultimate, it’s not. The ultimate is watching our grandkids love CJ SO MUCH. He’d do anything for them. 

The glorious thing about my best friend is that he loves me. He keeps me honest and boldly manages my addiction. He holds me when I’m scared and talks calmly through anxious moments. My life would come unhinged without him.  He is my balance. He is my always. He is my eternal companion. 

Oh how much more I could write, but the day is late and my handsome is calling me to sleep on his left shoulder. I can’t help but appease that ;]




No comments:

Post a Comment