3/27/2015

challenges...that's life!

I've struggled with this blog post...maybe this blog post IS my challenge!  The question posed is "A challenge I've overcome?" and I think I have many challenges, nothing real big, just challenges...I think everyone does, that's just life.  So, to pick just one challenge has me very perplexed???

I picked 2 challenges that I have overcome in the last few years, that have meant a lot to me and left me full of gratitude and made my life a much easier place to exist.

The first challenge I've overcome is that I can drink, even gulp, water!  I couldn't drink water at all for a few months.  After surgery, when my ability to swallow started to come back, I could still only sip at water...a full on swallow would send me into a choking spasm.  It hurt, it cracked my ribs, the coughing was more than I could even take.  So, water was a tough one!  When I came out of surgery and was alone in my recovery room, I made a list of "things I want to eat again" and water was the first one on the list...it was the last one I was actually able to consume.  I couldn't gulp water until 1 year out of surgery!  Now I can, and it is DELIGHTFUL!  I can only take up to about 7 gulps before my throat gives out and can't control it anymore...but I'll take 7 gulps!  The groovy thing is...now I'm a water snot!  I will only drink delicious water!  I order water on amazon and have it delivered to my house...yep, that kind of snot.  I love NEO Water.  It's my favorite.  But, for CJ's sake I will sometimes order SmartWater...because that's his favorite.  At any rate, water is divine...and until you literally can not drink it, you don't realize how much you love it!  Diet Coke is still my favorite, I'm not gonna lie.  But at least my NEO Waters made it to the top shelf of the refrigerator!  I love them!
CJ calls these my 'little grenades' :]

The second challenge I've overcome is that I actually like me and I'm grateful to be me.  Loving myself has always been a challenge.  Since I was young I've been comparing myself to ALL who surrounded me and have always thought "I'm nothing special, look what they can do" or "Wow, she is amazing!  I could never do that."  Ya know, those thoughts.  I felt inferior and under-appreciated.  It took 43 years for me to realize...I AM AWESOME!  I don't look in the mirror with disgust anymore, I learn about others with curiosity and I'm honest with myself.  It's so great to think of yourself as a viable being in this world!  I am an introvert and love to do my own thing...I'm totally ok with that.  I can't speak in a crowd (my voice is too weak)...but I can listen, and that's even better.  I LOVE to lay on the grass, look into the sky and ponder eternity...it's a beautiful feeling.  I KNOW my husband loves me...not every women can say that!  There are 2 quotes that I feel describe me just perfectly..."I have an intense desire to be where I am not!" and "I'm not anti-social, I'm just really pro-me."  I am grateful for the challenges that helped me to love me!  Teaching preschool, being the primary president, surgery, scars on my face, accepting service from loved ones, recovery, being a mom, being a grandma...THANK YOU!
Me and Ava
Mine is a wonderful life!
FEWF!!!!  52 gratitude blog post #13...DONE!  I am so grateful for life's challenges.  I can say that with a full heart and a smile on my face.

Keep on keeping on!
Lisa Lucille

No comments:

Post a Comment